senior researcher, PhD
Alexandra Petrunina (Maiden name Savchenko)
1. Secondary school
High School #1567, Moscow,
2. Higher Education
Moscow State University, Biological Faculty, Invertebrate Zoology Department,
Field practical courses in invertebrate zoology and marine sciences at Zvenigorod Biological Station and White Sea Biological Station, June -August 2003-2006
Field practical courses at Cranberry Lake Biological station (State University of New York), July -August 2007.
Copepoda associated with shallow water starfish from the Southern Vietnam
3. Post graduate degree
PhD degree at Moscow State University, Biological Faculty, Invertebrate Zoology Department, 2008-2012
Microscopic Crustaceans of the class Tantulocarida: morphology, anatomy, phylogeny, and systematics.
Senior researcher at Moscow State University, Biological Faculty, Invertebrate Zoology Department.
“Parasitic crustaceans” (for the fourth year bachelor students of the Invertebrate Zoology department)
“Crustaceans of the classes Thecostraca and Tantulocarida” (for the fourth year bachelor students of the Invertebrate Zoology department)
1. Practical course on Invertebrate zoology for the first year students of the Biological faculty, MSU.
2. Field practical course “Marine invertebrates” at the White Sea Biological station for the second year students of the Biological faculty.
3. Field practical course “Freshwater and soil invertebrates” at Zvenigorod Biological Station for the first year students of the Biological faculty.
4. Field practical course “Ecology of marine invertebrates” at the White Sea Biological station for students of International Summer Ecology School (in English).
Morphology, anatomy, phylogeny and systematics of the Tantulocarida, Ascothoracida and Facetotecta. Phylogeny of Thecostraca. Parasitic and symbiotic crustaceans.
Field sampling, sample sorting skills, Scanning and Transmission Electron Microscopy, Confocal microscopy, Molecular methods of phylogenetic analysis.
Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) Cambridge University 2007
French – upper intermediate level
Driving license since 2007:
PADI open water diver certificate
Grants and Awards:
1. Grant of the Tokio Boeki for high results in education and scientific projects (2010)
2. Best student presentation at the 11th International Conference On Copepoda, Merida (Mexico, 2011)
3. Winner of the 37th contest of young researches of Moscow State University (2013)
4. Grant of Russian Foundation for Basic Research (RFBF) (2012-2013)
5. Grant of DAAD + MSU “Vladimir Vernadsky” for a short term visit to German Center of Marine Biodiversity (Whilhelmshaven) (2014)
Photography, fishing, gardening, winter sports.
List of main publications:
1. Savchenko A.S., Kolbasov G.A., 2009. Serratotantulus chertoprudae gen. et sp. n. (Crustacea, Tantulocarida, Basipodellidae) – a new tantulocaridan from the abyssal depths of the Indian Ocean// Integrative and Comparative Biology, Symposium ‘‘The Biology of the Parasitic Crustacea’’, January 3–7, 2009. Boston, Massachusetts. P. 1-8.
2. Kolbasov G.A., Savchenko A.S. 2010. Microdajus tchesunovi sp. n. (Tantulocarida, Microdajidae) – A new crustacean parasite from the White Sea. // Experimental Parasitology. Vol. 125: 13-22.
3. Petrunina A.S., Kolbasov G.A., 2012. Morphology and ultrastructure of definitive males of Arcticotantulus pertzovi and Microdajus tchesunovi (Crustacea: Tantulocarida)// Zoologischer Anzeiger. V. 251. P. 223-236.
4. Olesen J., Huys R., Petrunina A.S., Martin J.W., 2014. Tantulocarida. In: Martin, J., Olesen, J., and Hoeg, J.T. (Eds) Atlas of Crustacean Larvae. Johns Hopkins University Press. P. 122-127
5. Petrunina A.S., Neretina T.V., Mugue N.S., Kolbasov G.A., 2014. Tantulocarida vs Thecostraca: inside or outside. First attempts to resolve phylogenetic position of this parasitic taxon using gene sequences// Journal of Zool. Syst. and Evol. Res. V.52 P. 100 – 108
6. Kolbasov G.A., Chan B.K.K, Petrunina A.S. 2015. Gorgonolaureus bicornutus sp. nov (Crustacea: Thecostraca: Ascothoracida) from off South-East Taiwan with notes on morphology and distribution// Zootaxa. V. 3972. № 3. P. 328-342.
7. Martinez Arbizu P., Petrunina A. S. 2016. Two new species of Tantulocarida from the Atlantic deep sea with first CLSM pictures of tantulus larva// 2017. Marine Biodiversity.